Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Student's Wife..

Life has been crazy and fantastic all at the same time! I must say that life with Aaron in school has been quite the ride. With Aaron busy taking really difficult classes, working, and watching the kids on the weekends while I work he is super busy! Which then means I am super busy and alone with the kids for the majority of the time. We don't get to see much of each other during the week, this morning I saw him for 20 minutes, and he'll be studying til super late tonight at school. Some days I feel like I get a glimpse of being a single mom. Here's a perfect example of our sweet little life, this was my night last night...

I had a YW activity at 7 pm. Around 5 pm I took my bro-in-law to pick up his car from the shop. I got home close to 6 and needed to feed the kids and get to the activity (with church clothes on) by 7pm. Not a big deal you might say right? Well, that's asking a lot sometimes especially when by yourself. You never realize how helpful it is to have another person around just to hold the baby or fill up Taylor's drink. That next hour consists of: trying to feed the kids, I have London still in her car seat on the large island counter, with a bottle propped (I know, don't judge, you have to do it sometimes). I'm trying to make Taylor a bean burrito while she is happily reading. Happily reading turns into throwing the books everywhere, but she's happy so I'm fine with it. Taylor needs to go potty, get her eating dinner, change all of us into church clothes, change London's diaper, finish a project I need to present and get out the door, and I eat the last 5 bites of Taylor's burrito for my dinner. Needless to say we don't leave until 7:10. Terrible leader I know.
Hang in there with me, this is where it starts getting good..
We get to the church by about 7:15, walk in and Taylor needs to go potty. After what seems like an eternity we finish the potty process and walk into the activity. Luckily it was the informal part of the YW in Excellence program so everyone is mingling. I pull sweet London out of the car seat and...seriously poopy diaper! Love it, since I have spent about 1.5 minutes at the activity at this point and I need to change a diaper. We head out and get her changed and get back to the activity.
I spend about 5 minutes chatting with the girls and we all get seated for a short slide show. Another leader is holding London, and Taylor is sitting on my lap. Ahhhh, feels nice to sit down and rest for a second. The slide show begins, everyone is happy and calm, and then, wait, something warm on my legs...something wet on my legs...and Taylor says.."uh oh mommy". Yep! You got it, she is peeing on my lap!!! Fantastic! So, natural instinct I stand up really quick and hold her out in front of me and all but run out of the room. Of course I have to be sitting in the front row, figures. So, we head back to the bathroom and change Taylor's clothes. She asks to keep her pee soaked tights on, of course this is impossible at this point. Although we have to clean her shoes so she can put those back on and luckily I have a change of clothes for her. Awesome!
We get back to the activity and...its over! Sweet, I have officially attended approximately 12 minutes of the activity. What can you do but laugh and enjoy the fact that you have two beautiful girls, right? And, the other good news is...I'm wearing a black skirt so no one can tell I'm cruisin around with a pee soaked skirt. I seriously was just laughing about the whole thing.

I love my beautiful family and this is why:
-London has been sleeping through the night for 1.5 months now.
-The girls have been sleeping in the same room for about a month! And sleeping through the night! I have to say I'm just as proud of myself as I am of them. It was hard work on both of our parts. We did it without any major hitches! And, I'm getting better at somehow doing the whole nighttime routine on my own and getting both girls down.
-London is the sweetest baby in the entire world. I need it because Taylor is what you would call a "spirited" girl. She can be the sweetest girl one minute and then the next minute she is finding every button possible to push. Bless this 2 year old stage!
-And, Aaron is doing great! I am so appreciative of how hard he works with school. He will be applying to P.A. school this fall, and lets pray that he gets in!
-And I am so appreciative of wonderful friends and family, play dates, projects, and story time to keep me busy!















3 comments:

tracie said...

Love the update!!!! I think it's every mom's right of passage to get peed on during potty training. I still remember when Brooke peed on me. Isn't it great to all of a sudden feel a nice, warm, wet feeling all over the leg? Ahh, c'est la vie.
I think you need a vacation and bring you and the girls down here. I don't know if it'll be much of a vacation but we'd love to see you.

Savage Family Junior said...

Robyn you are so good!! Doug and I left church early on Sunday becuase Masyn pooped on him and didn't tell us fast enough. Those days when Aaron is in school all day seem hard, but I promise it will be worth it in the end, and in the meantime I am available to help in any way I can.

Jenna said...

Great update, and I TOTALLY know what you mean!!! When you are alone so much of the time with two kids, it can be tough...but all of those hard moments are worth it. Love the pictures...Taylor is looking more and more like a Tobiasson and London is looking so much like a Powell. Adorable little girls, so glad to hear that things are going well. Miss you and hope we might be able to see each other at some point in the coming years, its been too long!!! When Erin was here in August, she Ryan and I thought we should all go on a cruise or something with no kiddies; Bri was totally in...sure we'll get something planned soon. =)