Saturday, April 26, 2008

I am Not Crafty...I need some help!

Ok ladies and gents...So I was called as the Young Women's Camp Director...wow! Let's just say I'm a little nervous about it. When I think of the camp directors I think of 40 year old mothers who have a lot of experience with cooking, kids, crafts, etc. Yikes, I'm just a young gal and freaked out about having to run camp on my own. We actually have a very interesting mix of girls in our ward (almost like an inner city ward with interesting backgrounds), so it will be very different from the way I grew up , but it will be really fun. We will be able to go camping near Estes Park, which is a beautiful place up in the mountains about an hour away from Denver.

So here is where I need some help folks...I am not crafty!! I almost have a thing against small nick nacks, crafts, and things. I know I need to enjoy it more, and need to expand my horizons. So, if anyone out there has some great/fun craft ideas that teenage girls would like to do, good easy camp food ideas, etc please please let me know! It would help a sister out a lot. Thank you. You know how they say that anything that doesn't kill you will make you stronger....this is my test to see if I can succumb and do crafts! Ahhh! Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!

6 comments:

Erin said...

You'll be a great camp director, the girls will have a lot of fun with you. One breakfast that I remember from camp that was easy and fun was omletes in plastic baggies. You put all the stuff for omletes in little plastic baggies (eggs, milk, butter, cheese, ham, veggies, etc) mush it up and then boil them until they're cooked, they were good. Also, there are a lot of web sites that mormon ladies put up that post ideas for activities and such, I'm sure there are some for camp and crafts, just google them.

Genevre said...

Last year for our camp we bought a bunch of beads, and wire for th girls to make necklaces, braclets,or whatever...they loved it so much we have done it on Wed night when we don't have anything planned. We also make homemade lip balm (find info on web). Girls camp is so fun!

Kirstin said...

Okay, I'm no help on food OR crafts...but I love camp, and you've just gotten my dream calling! You'll do great! Just remember to have fun!

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

Wow - me and crafty are pretty much enemies. Sorry I can't help! Ps - thanks for coming over on Friday - we loved having y'all over!

daveandbri said...

I'm opposite kirstin, you've got my nightmare calling. I can handle the weird culture of girl's and have fun there, but I cannot even fathom being in charge. My advice: get some really good help . .Kithcen director, craft director, etc. and delegate! I am busy working on camp stuff with our YW though so I'll let you know if any ideas worthy of passing along are shared.

Life these days...... said...

That's neat!(stressful) but the girls will love you. your so much fun Robyn. but i'm not crafty either...so sorry no idea!