Saturday, January 7, 2012

The best $20 purchase I ever made...

Pics of the kitchen, mentioned on the previous (more important) Christmas post.

I had this dream that I would find a cute wooden kitchen for Taylor on Craiglist. All the ones you buy online or at the store are like $250, not a chance! After about 6 months of searching I finally found it! It was super gross, old, and scary when I bought it. Like, I'm talking spider webs, spiders, layer of dirt, seriously gross. When I was driving home I was thinking..I hope I don't end up just tossing this thing in the trash because it's unsalvageable. Well, after 2 months of working during nap times and after the kids went to bed we finally finished. With all the sanding, 3 coats of paint, applying contact paper, making the canvas paintings above the kitchen, and repainting the $10 table/chairs also purchased on Craigslist we had Taylor's Christmas present! I really wanted something she could play with for a long time. We're pretty proud of it and Taylor LOVES it which is the most important thing!

BEFORE PICS:
All the knobs were originally white, I had already started spray painting them metallic.
You probably can't tell from the pics, but everything was SO dirty!
And the AFTER:

We used contact paper for the surfaces and "backsplash". Painted a $2 wash tub from Wal Mart metallic for the sink, and painted all the accents metallic.
Utensil holders are formula cans with scrapbook paper around it.
And I painted the canvas paintings, super easy! Doesn't everyone cook with a helmet on?
We had to do most of the painting/fixing up down in the storage room of the basement, so Taylor was banned from that room for at least a month!

Taylor is now our official cook in the house, that is if you like soup made with: potato, egg, pickle, chicken nuggets, cabbage, tomatoes, soda, pie, and fries!

4 comments:

melissa said...

Aaaaaaaahhhhhh! It turned out absolutely amazing! I love it! I can't wait to come make eggies, pie, and donuts.

Savage Family Junior said...

That looks AWESOME!! Nice Job!

tracie said...

What a fabulous job you did!!!!! I wish I had the patience and creativity to do something like that. Maybe the next time I get an itch I'll give you a ring...

Erin said...

Nice work Robyn, that looks great! I'm impressed with your creativity (although you have always been creative!)